Green Cards

From 2 August 2021, the European Commission agreed that the UK can participate in the “Green Card Free Circulation Area” (GCFCA) which includes all 30 European Economic Area (EEA) countries as well as Andorra, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Serbia and Switzerland; this removes the need to carry Green Cards for all vehicles from the UK who are entering these countries unless towing a caravan or trailer in which case a green card may be required.

As it may take time for processes to be updated across the GCFCA, especially at borders and ports, if you do intend to travel abroad with your vehicle and would like a Green Card please contact the office.

A Green Card must be a paper document and not a digital version and is valid if printed in black text on white paper. You can request a Green Card from us. Please ensure that you have your travel dates available and provide at least three weeks’ notice to ensure that you receive your Green Card in good time. If you intend to travel to the EU when your policy falls due for renewal, you must ensure that you have adequate insurance in place for your full trip (this means you’ll require a green card for both your current policy and any new policy). You will need to provide us with the registration and/or chassis number of any trailer or caravan as this may require a separate Green Card.

International Driving Permit (IDP)

You may need to carry an IDP from 1 January 2021, depending on where you intend to drive in Europe. An IDP is a permit that allows the holder to drive in countries where a UK driving licence alone is not sufficient. Some countries have confirmed that UK licence holders will not need an IDP to drive when visiting from the 1 January 2021, but some will require you to have one. There are three types of IDP issued by the Post Office to UK licence holders resident in the UK and it may be necessary to obtain more than one depending on the countries you intend to drive in. More information about the requirements may be found on the Government’s website as follows: An IDP costs around £5.50. Please remember to take your UK driving licence with you when driving in the EU.

Log Book (V5C)

You should carry your vehicle log book (V5C) with you. If the original has been lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed, you will need to get a new one. The Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will be able to assist. If the vehicle is rented or leased then you will need to hold the vehicle’s VE103 certificate.

GB Stickers and Number Plates

We recommend that you display a UK sticker on the rear of your vehicle even if you currently have a number plate which includes the GB and/or EU symbol identifier.